Universities currently associated with the Wasatch-Uinta consortium include the University of Illinois, University of Minnesota - Duluth, Michigan State University, and the University of Wisconsin.
To enroll in field camp, students from consortium universities must:
- Submit a deposit of $200 before March 15th to secure your place in the Chateau Apres Lodge. Please make your deposit check payable to "Chateau Apres Lodge" and give it to your university's field camp contact person, who will then send it on to Dr. Brown at the University of Wisconsin.
- Students must also enroll in the field camp course offered at your university and pay any tuition and other fees through your home institution
- Finally, you will need to pay for room & board at the Chateau Apres Lodge. The cost to students for room and board is $1850 (2018) and, in addition to the deposit, the remaining $1650 is due on arrival at the Chateau (check or cash only - the Chateau runs their end of things tight enough that credit card fees cut into money needed for opperations). This fee covers food and lodging for six weeks, with the exception of Sunday breakfast and lunch and some of the meals on the trips away from Park City. The Chateau generally provides most of the food for overnight trips, but logistics necessitates that students will need to cover some of their personal meal expenses during these trips.
Outside Institutions & Online Application (updated Feb. 2018)
Sorry there are no more slots for students from non-consortium schools.
Students from outside institutions commonly attend the Wasatch-Uinta field camp. One of the greatest benefits associated with attending this camp is the opportunity to work with a diverse group of students and staff from various schools. These individuals bring a wide range of skills and perspectives to this intense 6-week experience. The tuition for non-consortium students is the same as for in-state students enrolled at the University of Minnesota Duluth ($2772.96 plus a College Fee of $136 = $2908.96 for 2018). Duluth theoretically requires a "Student Services" Fee but every summer in the past the department has been successul in getting this waived because the course is not on campus-this waiver has not yet been established for 2018 so you may want to wait before registering - details still to come. Contact Phil Brown (see below) directly to explore options that may be available for your personal situation.
- Those interested should complete an online application as early as possible to get in line for any spaces that may be available and to begin the enrollment process. NOTE: the online application will ask you to provide a thoughtful answer regarding your particular qualifications, special interests, or other reasons for wishing to participate in the Wasatch-Uinta Field Camp. Draft an answer to this question before begining your application and then cut & paste your text into the space provided.
- Once accepted, submit a check for $200 made out to the "University of Wisconsin" to secure your place at camp. This deposit will be passed on to the Chateau Apres in late Spring and reduces your room and board fee ($1850 in 2018). The remainder of the room and board fee is due on arrival at the Chateau (check, money order or cash only - the Chateau runs their end of things tight enough that credit card fees cut into money needed for opperations). This fee covers food and lodging for six weeks, with the exception of Sunday breakfast and lunch and some of the meals on the trips away from Park City. The Chateau generally provides most of the food for overnight trips, but logistics necessitates that students will need to cover some of their personal meal expenses during these trips.
- Please mail your $200 deposit (personal or cashiers check made payable to "University of Wisconsin") directly to Dr. Brown at the following address.
Dr. Phil Brown
Department of Geoscience
University of Wisconsin
1215 West Dayton Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53706-1692
Last revised 3/6/18